Moodle: Create a Category in the Gradebook
Applies to: Moodle 2.9.
Categories can be created within the Gradebook for organization of unit elements or like activities. If you plan to use the Simple Weighted Mean of Grades aggregation or Drop the Lowest function you must use categories.
- Start on the site home page.
- In the Administration block under Course Administration click the Grades link.
- Select "Categories and items" from the gradebook dropdown menu.
- Click the "Add category" button near the bottom of the page.
- Give the grade category a meaningful name.
- Select grade category settings as appropriate. Advanced settings may be made available by clicking the "Show advanced" button.
- Click Save changes. The new category appears at the bottom of the Setup & Layout table. To rearrange the category see Move Items or Categories in the Gradebook for more information.