Answered By: Isaac Wheaton Last Updated: Jun 27, 2014 Views: 130
There are many possibilities as to why your wifi could be slow.
A few things to consider:
1) Environment - you could be in an area that is either far away from an AP (access point), or in an area that has lots of physical blocking elements (brick wall, basement ect).
2) Equipment - some manufactures, in order to keep costs lower for the consumer, may chose to put more economical wireless cards in their machines, thereby wireless access radius could be reduced.
3) Programs - other programs could be running in the background doing internet-related tasks (downloading files, skype ect) putting increased stress on the internet connection.
These are but a few possibilities as to why the wireless is slow.
Things you can do about it:
1) Ensure you are as close as possible to the access point, or move around different locations to see if signal is increased.
2) Make sure you are using the latest drivers of your wireless card on your computer, or that it's operating system is updated regularly.
3) Check to ensure that no other programs are running in the background.